Monday, March 23, 2009

The Lighter Side of the Amazon in Iquitos, Peru

The lady in the background is Sister Nix, the missionary's wife from Lima Peru, (if not one of the best hostess' ever), thanks Sis. Nix!

In this picture you can see one of the native Amazonian rats. They are nocturnal hunters......just kidding. I can't remember for the life of me what kind of animal/rodent this one is. It was pretty interesting and friendly.





This is me the snake wrangler! This picture does not do the snake justice. That was a big snake! He was a hisser.












This is a sloth. Yes, a real live sloth. This was a fascinating creature. They actually had two of them, and while they were in their cage you could observe them eating. What was neat about this observation is how incredibly slow they functioned. Fascinating.




Now this guy, he was a blast. Very observant fellow and not bashful at all. I extended my hand to him and he extended his to mine. He began licking my hand and then I realized he was actually licking a wound I had on my hand. Pretty much freaked me out, wondering what kind of amazonian monkey Peruvian germ I was contracting. At this point it was too late we were friends to the end. He would not let go of my hand and after standing there for a few minutes I began to get nervous. The rest of the pack had left except for Brian Gregg who was getting a great kick out of this and fortunately videoing the whole event. I will attempt to post a video stream in the future. I started to walk and he started to swing from my arm. I was quite surprised at his rather dense frame. He was much heavier than he appeared and very strong. He was able to maneuver around me ,like I was a set of monkey bars. His tail......Wow.......it's functional. He was able to hang from my arm by his tail, swing around to my leg, crawl up my side, dig in my pockets, only to be disappointed, look me in the eyes, crawl up my back, yank the hat off of my head, and try to jump off and run away. Ha, ha, ha not so fast Mr. Monkey. I snagged my hat back during his escape, put it back on my head and the guy didn't even hit the ground and he was back up my leg and to my shoulders and trying to steal my hat once again. Once he realized he was not going to make off with my hat he started to lick the back of my neck. He was really starting to freak me out. So I ran to the native and told her to get him off of me. She yelled at him in Spanish and he didn't listen so I used my hat to lure him off of me. It worked....but if it hadn't I was ready to jump in the river.
More to come soon. Don't want to bore you.

3 comments:

  1. Dude I ded not realize what a bond you and the monkey created in such a short time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Definately a connection there. And there is a bit of a resemblance... just kidding, bro. I can't wait to see the vid!

    ReplyDelete